Below are a compiled list of resources to that we have found.
Language institutes that offer in-person, online, and self-guided courses.
Instructor led distanced (online) classroom
- Icelandic Online – https://icelandiconline.com/
- Háskólasetur Vestfjarða
- Múlti Kúlti – https://www.multimal.org/
- The Tin Can Factory – https://thetincanfactory.eu/index.html
Icelandic Language based
- Embla – (iso) – Icelandic language digital assistant
- Rúv (ios, android, web) – Icelandic news
- KrakkaRúv (ios, android, web) – Children’s news. The web version has Icelandic subtitles.
- Ylhýra (web)- An interactive reader with CEFR grade texts.
Audio based learning
- Mango (ios, android) – Audio based language learning application. Includes Icelandic. Free subscription available through most libraries and universities.
- Forvo (ios, android, web) – Native speakers record words to help learners with pronunciation.
Online tutoring and language partners
- iTalki (ios, android, web) – Online tutoring and language partners with several Icelandic tutors
- HelloTalk (ios) – Online tutoring and language partners
- Slowly (ios, android, web) – A pen-pal application in many languages that can be used for practice.
In person practices
Dictionaries and Language Resources
- Icelandic noun cases and declensions – Everything2.com
- Icelandic Nouns – ielanguages.com
- The Language Learning Hub – Medium
- https://bin.arnastofnun.is/ – Shows noun declension patterns
- sagnavefur – 100 verbs, meanings, conjugations, and voices
- Explore new words in Icelandic! – The Drops app Icelandic visual database.
- https://islenzka.is/aefingar/ – Noun, verb, and adjective exercises
- https://snara.is/ – used to be ordabok.is, you do need to pay to use it, but I’ve found it very helpful.
- https://islex.arnastofnun.is/is/ – another good resource, but doesn’t have an English translation
- Icelandic Made Easi(er) – A collection of articles written in English explaining various aspects of the language.
E-books and guided reading
- Útgefið efni | Menntamálastofnun – Collection of ebooks from the education ministry. Different books at various levels.
- Ylhyra, books guide – A listing of Icelandic E-books with descriptions and links. The page also conveniently lists CEFR level of each publication.
- Strumparnir • Íslenska – YouTube – The smurfs in Icelandic.
- Viltu læra íslensku? – Educational videos series about a Canadian visiting Iceland
Open-source IT projects
- Greynir – Málgreining fyrir íslensku – Natural language processing (NLP) knowledge engine
- GitHub – mideind/Embla_iOS: The Embla voice assistant app for iOS
- Reddit r/Learn Icelandic
- Norður Ameríka | RÚV – Icelandic language articles about North America. Read with existing context.
English language podcasts about Icelandic culture and current events.
- All Things Iceland
- Stories Of Iceland
- That Icelandic Guy
- The Raisin at the Hot Dog’s End
- Reykjavik Grapevine
- This Week In Iceland (RUV English)
Other Resource Listings
- https://ylhyra.is/Resources – A very detailed listing of various learning materials.