Below are a compiled list of resources to that we have found.
- Norður Ameríka | RÚV – Icelandic language articles about North America. Read with existing context.
- Reddit r/Learn Icelandic
Dictionaries and Other Resources
- Icelandic noun cases and declensions – Everything2.com
- Icelandic Nouns – ielanguages.com
- The Language Learning Hub – Medium
- https://bin.arnastofnun.is/ – Shows noun declension patterns
- sagnavefur – 100 verbs, meanings, conjugations, and voices
- Explore new words in Icelandic! – The Drops app Icelandic visual database.
- https://islenzka.is/aefingar/ – Noun, verb, and adjective exercises
- https://snara.is/ – used to be ordabok.is, you do need to pay to use it, but I’ve found it very helpful.
- https://islex.arnastofnun.is/is/ – another good resource, but doesn’t have an English translation
- Icelandic Made Easi(er) – A collection of articles written in English explaining various aspects of the language.
- ÍTM App (ios)
An app that demonstrates basic signs in Íslenskt Táknmál (Icelandic Sign Language)
- Label Icelandic (android, ios, web)
A digital text book broken into various categories with quizzes and games.
- Embla – (iso)
An Icelandic language digital assistant. It is more useful in Iceland but it may be useful to test your pronunciation when asking questions.
- Rúv (ios, android, web)
Icelandic language news
- KrakkaRúv (ios, android, web)
Children’s news. The web version has Icelandic subtitles.
- Ylhýra (web)
An interactive reader with CEFR grade texts.
- Mango (ios, android)
Audio based language learning application. Includes Icelandic. Free subscription available through most libraries and universities.
- Forvo (ios, android, web)
Native speakers record words to help learners with pronunciation.
- Drops (android, ios, web)
- Clozemaster (android, ios, web)
Gamified fill in the blank of real sentences.
- Íslenska (android, ios, web)
Noun declension practice
- Memrise (android, ios, web)
Flashcard vocabulary builder. Also has a large list of community built decks of varying quality.