Below are a curated list of resources. Please feel free to suggest an additional resource using the form below.
In Person Language Practice
Chicago Language Cafe
A meetup.com group in Chicago of a few hundred people. Various languages are represented at monthly events. Tables are set up featuring different languages.
The Icelandic Language and Culture Meetup of Chicago and New York
An area meetup.com group hosting events related to Icelandic language, culture, books, recipes, and other events.
Icelandic Association of Chicago (us!)
Events, open to members, offers a chance to practice the language and build community locally in Chicago. See our calendar or become a member.
Iceland (online and in person)
- Múlti Kúlti – https://www.multimal.org/
- The Tin Can Factory – https://thetincanfactory.eu/index.html
- Mímir – https://www.mimir.is/is/nam#study-icelandic
- Icelandic Online – https://icelandiconline.com/
- Háskólasetur Vestfjarða
- Símey’s Íslenskuþjálfarinn (conversation coaching)
- INLUS – https://inlus.org/travel-culture/icelandic-language/
- Icelandic Club of Toronto – https://www.icct.info/language-classes
Online Language Partners and Tutors
iTalki (ios, android, web)
Online tutoring platform with several Icelandic tutors. View tutor profiles and schedule a tutoring session over online using Zoom/Skype.
HelloTalk (ios, android, web)
Online chat platform with individuals practicing various languages through chats.
Slowly (ios, android, web)
A pen-pal application in many languages used for practice. The system delays messages to match that of real world letters sent through international post.
English language podcast about Icelandic culture and politics
- All Things Iceland
- Stories Of Iceland
- That Icelandic Guy
- The Raisin at the Hot Dog’s End
- Reykjavik Grapevine
- This Week In Iceland (RUV English)
- Auðskilið RÚV – News in a simpler language style.
- Norður Ameríka | RÚV – Icelandic language articles about North America. Read with existing context.
- Reddit r/Learn Icelandic
Open Source Projects
- Greynir – Málgreining fyrir íslensku
A natural language processing (NLP) knowledge engine
- GitHub – mideind/Embla_iOS
The Embla voice assistant app for iOS
- Strumparnir • Íslenska – YouTube
The smurfs in Icelandic.
- Viltu læra íslensku?
Educational videos series about a Canadian visiting Iceland
E-books and Reading
- Útgefið efni | Menntamálastofnun – Collection of ebooks from the education ministry. Different books at various levels.
- Ylhyra, books guide – A listing of Icelandic E-books with descriptions and links. The page also conveniently lists CEFR level of each publication.
- GISP! Archive
Dictionaries and Other Resources
- Vélþýðing.is – Icelandic translation tool feature
- Icelandic noun cases and declensions – Everything2.com
- Icelandic Nouns – ielanguages.com
- The Language Learning Hub – Medium
- https://bin.arnastofnun.is/ – Shows noun declension patterns
- sagnavefur – 100 verbs, meanings, conjugations, and voices
- Explore new words in Icelandic! – The Drops app Icelandic visual database.
- https://islenzka.is/aefingar/ – Noun, verb, and adjective exercises
- https://snara.is/ – used to be ordabok.is, you do need to pay to use it, but I’ve found it very helpful.
- https://islex.arnastofnun.is/is/ – another good resource, but doesn’t have an English translation
- Icelandic Made Easi(er) – A collection of articles written in English explaining various aspects of the language.
- ÍTM App (ios)
An app that demonstrates basic signs in Íslenskt Táknmál (Icelandic Sign Language)
- Label Icelandic (android, ios, web)
A digital text book broken into various categories with quizzes and games.
- Embla – (iso)
An Icelandic language digital assistant. It is more useful in Iceland but it may be useful to test your pronunciation when asking questions.
- Rúv (ios, android, web)
Icelandic language news, television, and radio. Public broadcaster. Use the web for Icelandic subtitles.
- KrakkaRúv (ios, android, web)
Children’s news. The web version has Icelandic subtitles. Use the web for Icelandic subtitles.
- Ylhýra (web)
An interactive reader with CEFR grade texts.
- Mango (ios, android)
Audio based language learning application. Includes Icelandic. Free subscription available through most libraries and universities.
- Forvo (ios, android, web)
Native speakers record words to help learners with pronunciation.
- Drops (android, ios, web)
- Clozemaster (android, ios, web)
Gamified fill in the blank of real sentences.
- Íslenska (android, ios, web)
Noun declension practice
- Memrise (android, ios, web)
Flashcard vocabulary builder. Also has a large list of community built decks of varying quality.
Netflix, search “Audio in Icelandic”
When you’re in Netflix, search for the phrases “Audio in Icelandic” and “Subtitles in Icelandic“. These results should provide a good listing of programs with Icelandic audio and/or subtitles.
A list of shows that have audio or captions in Icelandic
You must be logged in to post a comment.